Sunday, February 16, 2014

Week 5 Reflection


Week 5 Reflection

I have found reading David Burgess’s Teach Like a Pirate  quite inspiring this week. I have been reminded about why I enjoy teaching and how to rekindle some of that enjoyment.  I strive to help my students to learn to their potential.  However, I had forgotten for some time the effect my own passion, or lack there of, has on their motivation.   By just making subtle changes in my attitude and presentation, it has made a positive change in the atmosphere of one of my Title 1 classes.  I am so excited about this.  Many of the students in the class do not want to be there and I have been trying how to change that.  (They know it’s because they need extra help.  Something a 4th or 5th grader doesn’t always take well.)  Now, it has only been a week, and I am hoping that it isn’t just some other cause that may disappear.    

Meeting and talking with Dave Burgess in the Google Hang Out was a great experience.  I offered to help moderate and this helped me learn a new skill. I had never even been on Google Hang Out before.  I was a bit nervous about having to be “seen” the whole time.  (I have this odd habit of fidgeting during such time.  For example, whenever I Face time with someone, if he or she touches their nose, mine automatically begins to itch.  This went on during the meeting, but I was able to refrain from rubbing my nose too much.  I hope.)  I do have to say, I enjoy looking at a face while someone is talking so I appreciate the need to be have the video on. 

Reading the blogs of my classmates has, again, been inspiring as well.  I enjoy getting feedback from my classmates and I hope that my feedback is appreciated as well.   I shared some of the things that I learned when it related to a post.  I even commiserated with some on the setbacks of being innovative, although we agreed on the need to do so.  

I also had a chance to look at Vicki's students' wikis.  After finding out how to make a comment, I made some suggestions that had to do with the editing of the pages.  For example, if something confused me, I said so.  On another I saw a way tot make the working a little better and suggested that.  I did accidentally respond to one that wasn't on my assigned group by using a link on the side instead of on their main page.  I will figure this out though.  I am getting better each week understanding the organization of the wiki.  

1 comment:

  1. Huh - my last comment didn't post for some reason.

    Anyhow - you did just fine! I find myself fidgeting a lot, and the more I do the the hangouts the more that I'm able to keep it in check and not get distracted. The hard part for me is finding when to speak, there's a little bit of a lag and that leads to collisions often. When you're face to face with someone there's those non-verbal cues that are just not present in Hangouts.

    ReplyDelete