Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Week 8 Reflection



Week 8 Reflection

Learning about collective learning this week has been enlightening. Like others, I was a bit uncomfortable with the idea.  However, after reading our text , classamtes’ blogs, and researching some online, I’ve come to the conclusion that collective learning can be very powerful.  I found a couple of websites that gave good examples of collective learning.  I shared one of those sites in a couple different comments I made on blogs.  I was also relieved to see others, too, at first were a bit uncomfortable with collective learning. I am surprised at the different ways it is being used today.  One person talked about how Microsoft is using as an option to tech halp a community Ambassador, an expert that is not an employee, but able to help customers with difficulties.  So cool!

In the twitter session this week, I cannot get the ‘herding cats” analogy out of my head.  Such a funny idea! I feel like that sometimes when we are doing Twitter sessions when everyone is having separate conversations.  It has been so much better lately, as we all learn how to be better contributors and learners to the collective.

I was able to rate 4 games early in the week.  I need to pick out an do a number 5. It is much easier than I originally thought it was going to be.  Many of the games are simple games that don’t have avatars and such that would take a long time to play and be able to rate in a meaningful way.  These games don’t score as well on our rubric, but that doesn’t mean they are not valuable serious games.  Their purpose is just different than what our rubric calls for in a serious game for the classroom.   

1 comment:

  1. Donna I always enjoy reading your thoughts as they often resonate with my own. (I'm glad that the cat herding video made an impression, too.) I believe I've learned in the collective for years, at my own pace, with my own interests, and through intrinsic motivation. After really processing last week's reading, I'm inclined to think that part of my reservation about learning in the collective in this instance (our class) is because we are being directed on how to do it. Meaning the number of references, the required replies to posts, re-tweeting afterwards, etc.. The authors of our text caution against, "any effort to define or direct [them] would destroy the very thing that is unique and innovative about them." (A New Culture of Learning) While I understand the reason for our requirements, I can't help but feel restricted by them.

    ReplyDelete