Sunday, March 16, 2014

Week 9 Reflection


This week my group and I discussed on our Wiki page the different mechanics of games and which ones we felt we could use in our game. We had some confusion at first about what we were suppose to do, but we got it figured out. For some reason, a couple of our group were unable to open the link on game mechanics at first.  It seems to be accessible now.

This week I also finished up reviewing my 5th game.  I really liked looking at the games and wish I had more time to play around with many of them.  

As usual, the blogs provided great resources and great ideas.  One recurring theme was how to best get students to learn.  I saw at least 3 different references that talked about (in different words) how to change from what to where and how.  There was some talk about different ways to ensure long-term learning.  Students must have an emotional response that will trigger the brain to retain it better.  One way this can be done is by building on previous knowledge.  I enjoyed reading the blogs, commenting on, and discussing the different ways to basically engage students in the learning.  That this is such a central theme shows how important it is.  It amazes me how much this important piece of learning/teaching is overlooked.

The text this week had some great information in it as well.  I just hope that I can remember this knowledge when I need it.  You almost have to be exposed to information many, many times for it to be put to use.  Some ideas I find are so inspiring, but are often are forgotten when it counts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment