Thursday, January 23, 2014

Criteria to be a Serious Game


Week 2 Blog

“A serious game or applied game is a game designed for a primary purpose other than pure entertainment.”  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serious_game

I think this is a "have to" criteria for a serious game. But, could the definition of a game change depending on skill level?  For example, if I were to engage in the card game of War, it would be purely for fun.  I am not learning or practicing any skill needed.  However, if a 4 or 5 year old were playing, they could be reinforcing numbers and their value.  Therefore, for a young child, would War be considered a serious game?  I guess this is where other criteria come in.  Can a game that is for practicing skills be considered a serious game?  Or not? 

A similar definition from The Financial Times Lexicon at http://lexicon.ft.com/Term?term=serious-games is
“Serious games are games designed for a purpose beyond pure entertainment.” 
Also from The Ludus Project, at http://www.ludus-project.eu/seriousgaming.html
Serious Gaming is, thus, games that engage users in their pursuit and contribute to the achievement of a defined purpose other than pure entertainment.”

Seems like there is pattern here.  My thoughts on other criteria that I come across are “Could a game without this be called a serious game?”  If the answer is yes then it can’t be a criterion. So I am having difficulty with deciding on other criteria. 

Here at least two that I believe serious games should have:
  
Use higher order thinking skills
Challenging yet doable

3 comments:

  1. Donna, I have a question for you. Would you say hierarchical structure refers to well-organized problem solving? In other words the problems build requiring the player to use the skills attained while solving previous problems in order to solve the current problem. I am wondering because I have been looking at our wiki and am trying to organize our criteria into one list.

    Thanks,
    Sara L.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna,
    I like your question about the card game "War". When is something a serious game and when is it entertainment? How does "mastery" fit into this? Are there game design criteria that fit in with the idea of mastery?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna I know where you're coming from. I had a similar conversation with my dad this week about what constitutes a serious game. He suggested that advancing through scouts could be considered a serious game. Your reference to War and the different levels at which players are able to interact with it can define whether or not it meets the criteria.
    One paper that I found helpful was The Serious Game: What Educational Benefits? Here's a link http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S187704281202201X

    ReplyDelete