Thursday, January 16, 2014

Serious Gaming


            Starting the game of Superbetter, I came to my first roadblock- deciding which item I want to get better from.  Most seem to be all related, and I can relate to all but a few.   Depression/anxiety?  Well most on the list, if improved would make either one better. Sleeping better would definitely help (I have a pretty big problem with this.) Less stress definitely would improve many issues.  Having more energy-working out- these are proven to help in all the above issues.  Eating better and losing weight would also be beneficial for all the issues.  Too bad indecisiveness isn’t on the list.  That would fit me to a “T”.  So, which of the above issues would be considered a main one causing the others?  They are so intertwined.  How about a just be happier quest?  Argh!
            I read a book recently that was on just this topic (being happier). 
(So, I just got back from finding the book to reference it.  I went into kitchen for something and had to stop myself from making the chocolate pudding I was going to make earlier.  Oh look, SQUIRREL!)  ADD maybe?  Anyway, back to the topic at hand.  The book is called The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin.  Of course, I didn’t finish it, but I made it halfway through so far.  Even so, I highly recommend it.  http://www.amazon.com/The-Happiness-Project-Aristotle-Generally/dp/006158326X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389941566&sr=8-1&keywords=happiness+project The author was not clinically depressed.  She just wanted to make her perfectly content life better.  She made some decisions based on things she had learned from literature and scientific research on what kinds of things would make her happier. She divided up sections monthly and decided to work hard each month on a new area.  This game, Superbetter, seems somewhat similar to this.  I guess if I wanted it to be the closest, depression may be the one to choose.  The good thing is, you can change it whenever you want.  The bad thing, I might be changing often if I don’t like the challenges.  
            While searching online for serious games, I did not find a suitable site that I felt did a good job of giving a list of or examples of serious games.  I did find a blog site, http://blog.seriosity.com/, that is a blog talking about gaming and how it can be useful in work and business.  Although it looked to be a couple years old, it had some interesting information. 
            Upon looking further I found a great blog, http://seriousgamesmarket.blogspot.com/ that blogs about different serious games.  It includes games made for interrogations, learning the water cycle, educational games and much more.  There is a list down the right side of categories that you can browse blog articles from.  One that I am going to try is Algeburst, a game to improve mental math skills. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/algeburst-lite/id567739842?mt=8 - See more at: http://seriousgamesmarket.blogspot.com/#sthash.f4W3N2Mj.dpuf
I am interested in brain games or games that increase mental abilities. 

2 comments:

  1. Donna, I really enjoyed reading your blog and looking at the other two blogs that you posted. I too like the health and lifestyle sort of games that allow you to make healthy decisions. I have not played too much on superbetter but it sounds really interesting and helpful. I am not sure if this counts as a "serious game" but I use an app to track healthy eating and exercising. It is very motivating when you get to see your accomplishments. I also really like different educational games for students, I really like looking at the water cycle game, I could see that being very useful in the classroom. I found the following list of educational games and what each game teaches students. Thought it was interesting. Also, here is the link for the paper that this information came from. http://www2.futurelab.org.uk/resources/documents/project_reports/becta/Games_and_Learning_educators_report.pdf. It is a paper that reports on the use of games as a resource in an educational setting, it is called "computer games, schools, and young people".

    Moshi Monsters: Collaboration and team work
    The Movies: Multimedia narrative creation
    Myst: Creative writing stimulus
    Nintendogs: Animal welfare, collaboration
    Pictochat on Nintendo DS: Enquiry-based learning
    PlayStation Portable: Video production and fieldwork data
    collection
    Professor Layton and the Curious Village: Creative design
    Roamer: Maths and programming
    SimCity: Geography curriculum module on settlements
    Spore: Science concept understanding
    The Winning Game: Sports and Physical Education
    performance analysis
    Thinking Worlds: Citizenship
    Trauma Centre 2: Anatomy and biology
    Tycoon games: Business Studies simulations
    Nintendo Wii Sports: Fitness training and cardiovascular
    workouts
    Wii Tennis: Design and numeracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna,
    I loved your post…probably because it sounds so much like me…my students hold up two fingers in class (rabbit ears) when I go down a “rabbit trail”…although they like them. It doesn’t help that my students have their backs to the windows, which means I am always able to look out of them when lecturing…”wow, cool truck”, “I wonder what that lady on the bike path is doing out there?”, etc.
    OK, so start with the depression part of “Superbetter” and just stick with it.
    Algeburst sounds awesome. I wonder if I could make my math students download it and require a few minutes each day playing it? Hmmmm, might be something to work on. I guess I’ll have to try it out first : )
    Am curious about “The Happiness Project”. I have this weird philosophy that if we love people, even when they are not nice, we will be happier. If we treat all people with respect, and look for the good in others, we will be happier. If we stop seeing the “crud” in life and seek out the beauty, we will be happier. Maybe I should come up with a serious game on the idea…hmmm “Oh look, Squirrel!”

    ReplyDelete